Frontier Technology Corporation (FTC) has been a leading manufacturer of sealed radioactive sources since 1984. We specialize in californium-252, a vital neutron emitting source for a variety of industrial applications. As a responsible manufacturer of radioactive substances, we are committed to following all regulatory policies governing proper disposal.
This is why we offer free disposal services to all our customers: any depleted californium-252 neutron source fabricated in our facility can be returned to us at any time. Customers need only pay for shipping. Learn more about our disposal procedure, policies, and the benefits of responsible neutron source return.
Most of our customers return their depleted Cf-252 containers when they receive a new shipment of the substance. Although we are not required by any regulatory body to take back these containers, as a
manufacturer of radioactive materials, we believe we have a personal responsibility to provide safe disposal. We do not want to offer Cf-252 sources without also ensuring our customers have an easy and secure way to dispose of them. Our disposal procedure complies with all applicable regulations and internal policies.
Benefits of Returning Depleted Neutron Sources
Californium-252 is a strong neutron emitter. Frontier Technology Corporation maintains the most rigorous standards in the industry for fabricating, sealing, shipping, and disposing of these sources.
Depending on our customers’ preferences, our Cf-252 sources can come in a variety of double-encapsulated chambers. These capsules can be made of Zircaloy-2, 304L stainless steel, platinum, or other alloys. We use advanced TIG welding and sealing processes with tolerances of +/-10%, and each container is custom-built within certain size requirements.
We take the same care in disposing of used sources, so that trace radioactive elements do not contaminate the environment or harm people. Our operations policies follow strict industry regulations set by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, ASTM, ANSI, and ISO 2919. Frontier is an IAEA compliant manufacturer of Type A certified shipping containers, and we ship to over 200 countries.
Depleted Source Return Policy
Frontier accepts the return of depleted sources under these conditions:
- Returned sources must be made by Frontier Technology Corporation. Sources from other manufacturers will be returned to the customer, at their expense.
- The customer needs to submit a request for the return and have written acceptance prior to shipping the return.
- The returned source must be suitable for a common carrier to ship.
- The returned source should be radiologically clean, meaning it was not used in a nuclear reactor or another environment that may have caused significant activation of the capsule.
- The return should be shipped in a Type A shipping container, preferably one made by Frontier. Containers by other manufacturers will be returned to the customer at their expense. Frontier can provide adequate shipping containers at no cost, but the customer will be responsible for all shipping fees.
- The customer is responsible for paying the shipping costs, as well as any necessary customs clearance fees and forwarding fees. Frontier will bill any custom broker fees to the customer.
We cannot take responsibility for depleted radioactive sources or shipping containers not made by us. These policies ensure the safety of all parties that come into contact with the returned source during shipment.
Responsible Neutron Source Returns by Frontier
Frontier Technology Corporation (FTC) is a global leader in manufacturing californium-252. We’re also a foremost expert on shipping radioactive materials, including all associated logistics.
Please contact us to see how we can assist you with disposing of your FTC neutron source. If you’re ready to start the process, review our depleted source return policy and fill out this return authorization.